Behen**** #ATOZCHALLENGE - B

He talked, talked and talked like he had verbal diarrhea. He needed to splutter out the last word he knew about whatever he was talking about. An then this infamous B-word would splutter out of his mouth if he felt very strongly that things were amiss. It would slip through his tongue in the most innocuous fashion, while the rest of us looked on quite wide-eyed.

The B-word was like his trailing spouse. She followed wherever he went.

Retired seniors read newspapers like the world depended on their being better informed. Politics and current affairs are key topics of their discussion. Being neighbours, our parents made socials calls to each other quite frequently. During one such visit the argument over a politician's vested interest got heated up. He felt very strongly for the politician in question as did my parents feel against him. When the kitchen heat brewed too strong, out came his trailing spouse. Paralysed in shock, my parents stared long and hard in disbelief. Mum even briefly recalled her favorite deity. He continued his tirade, blissfully unaware.

The trailing spouse intervened a couple of times more. My mum left half of her favorite coffee unconsumed, said a harried good-bye and left for our home. Dad was still deliberating whether to play moral police or write off the corrupt politician still further.

"Singh's son. Did you hear what he keeps saying. So bad na?  No manners in today's youth." chided mum.

Bua had called from the U. K. Dad had never sounded more protective about his sibling.

In the aftermath of these happenings, I felt the need to broach this topic with him. And when I did, his response was even more baffling.

"What? When did I say that? And why would I?"

His denial threw me. How could anyone swear innocuously?

When I further met his trailing spouse in his arguments to defend his stance, I was convinced of her arrival to be a reflex action.

"Just be careful. People feel scandalised." , I beckoned.

He shrugged off my caution with a Whatever and went his way.

The true blue trailing spouse was totally inseparable from him. So I had to find a solution for me and ma and pa. I stumbled upon this quote that I took the liberty to distort for the benefit of all of us who would like to filter out stuff that makes us squirm.

"What you cannot hear, cannot hurt you." - yours truly.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Passive Pervert #ATOZCHALLENGE - P

Coffee and Conversations #ATOZCHALLENGE - C

Dearest Dad #ATOZCHALLENGE - D