Coffee and Conversations #ATOZCHALLENGE - C

"I've heard they will close the transport systems soon. Its been raining continuously since six hours."

"Omigosh! I don't want to be stuck here all night. My place is far you know.'

"Let's hope for the best. And don't worry, I live closeby. I would be honored to host you."

"Areee no! I don't want to trouble you unnecessarily. And I'm not made of sugar that I will melt. In 2005 I slept in the Chemistry lab the entire night. Remember that cloudburst and torrential rainfall. So many stories of heroism that were born that day. "

"Absolutely, and some were totally unbelievable acts of valour. A few stories come to my mind too."

"Chalo! Let's compare notes over a piping cuppa. You want to go first?"

"Yes. My colleague Sanika, she spent the entire night in a best bus. The bus would not budge and in in the waters. If the levels rose any further she would drenched till further help arrived. Thankfully that did not happen but help did not arrive before 6 AM the next day. I dont know what I would have done in her place. Best buses aren't very hygienic, and you never know what would float in with the rain water."

"Okay that's bad. Hear this one. There is this cocky brother-sister duo who live in my building. The sis was stuck in her office all night. I had rented her a DVD, so they played the movie in the night and all of them watched en masse. The next day she marched in like a soldier from war like she'd braved something really difficult. For christ's sake she was in an air conditioned office with unlimited tea and coffee at her behest. Nothing like the kind of situation Sanika was in. Her mum actually cooked for her like she had not eaten for days. Hausfrau's food fixation, totally. And to think of it, they all escaped boredom because of me and my DVD. Not even a word of thanks for that. So much faltu attitude some people have, I tell you. And this is certainly not how bizarre it gets. Her brother was like, full of machismo. I will go and get my sister back. He must have walked a few steps further and the floods became apparent. He came back from the next block. Such a piece of work."

"Someone was comfortable because you. Isn't knowing that rewarding enough? The poor chap may have been worried about his sister, but it may have been practically impossible to do what he wanted to do in good faith. My wife is a hausfrau too and I am mighty grateful for that. It's about individual choices. If you do not agree you have every right to differ, as do they. Some people like to blow their own horn, possibly because nobody has ever praised them even when it was due."

"Well you could be right. Maybe I am annoyed with their being hostile. I wish they were as friendly as they can be obtuse at times. I would have liked to be her friend and his too. Any relationship is healthy as long as it's on equal terms."

"That even I agree. Any more stories?"

"Yes. I have a friend, Mihika, who spent the entire night at Matunga station on a bench. There were very few women there and she was sitting there alone, without a cop in sight. She chanted her dieties name to keep her going. The train did not arrive before 12 PM the next day. She generally talks less, so we never got to know this until much later. I salute her spirit to this date. See, not everybody is seeking praise. Some are content being unsung heroes."

"My wife's sister slept in the lady's compartment of a train stuck at Parel. She often tells me she wished she had a smartphone at that time. All the ladies offered their neighbours their shoulders to sleep on. It would have been an epic capture."


"Hey taxi, taxi!"

"Will he go to your place?"

"Yes. Thank god."

"Nice meeting you. Go home and be safe."

"Sure. You to. Regards to your wife."

In the cab...

"Bhaiyya, take it to Colaba Post Office."

"Madame minimum fare we don't take. You could have walked till there."

"That man in the shop was getting over friendly. Please bhaiyya let's go."

"Okay madame. What can I say now? Who was he?"

"Some random stranger chatting me up. God knows who he is."

Back at the Shop..
"Sir the lady you were speaking with left her lipstick in the washroom. The brand seems pretty expensive."

"She does not live far. She will come back soon and take it from here."

"Who is she?"

"I do not know. A city dweller who knows how stagnant the traffic snarls get in this season would never take the risk of travelling long distance by cab. She lives nearby and will be here soon enough."



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Passive Pervert #ATOZCHALLENGE - P

Dearest Dad #ATOZCHALLENGE - D